Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
Wombat: Eliminator Interior Retrimming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: icon_fight Wombat: Eliminator Interior Retrimming Reply with quote

Wombat:

The seams split on the seats on the 70 Eliminator so I decided to have the seats retrimmed. While I was at it I thought I'd fix the ratty looking parcel shelf (package tray) and put in some new carpet.

So out came the seats and off they went to the trimmer to get upgraded recovered in black vinyl with black cloth centre panels

Next step - remove the package tray

Here's what i found

Looks like some previous owner had run a saw through the tray and destroyed its structural integrity - and made it useless as a point to mount child restraint anchorages. Looks like the grandkids won't be riding in the Eliminator until they are out of car seats

The steel plate had been bolted in by someone in an attempt to build back some strength. It looks like it worked OK so I am going to use it again, but I'll bolt it in and also glue it in with some panel adhesive

Decided to fit up some speaker panels under what's left of the package tray, using longer bolts to secure the package tray plate. Sandwich board for speakers is to the right of the steel plate

While I was figuring how to make it all work I made up a package tray and covered it with hoodlining vinyl

Package tray is set up for recessed 6 x 9" speakers - although I might use 6" 3 way speakers. Slot is for seat belts - retractors are fitted below the parcel shelf - you can see the belts in the first picture

More to follow

Carpet removed

Rear seat filler panels built

Dynamat installed

Rear parcel shelf test fit - will be bolted into place until car is painted in a couple of years when we will weld in a new shelf

Next steps - cut out underfelt

Front underfelt cut and installed

Rear underfelt cut and installed

Seat divider boards in place

Courtesy lights installed in sail panels

Rear seat back, parcel tray and seat belts installed

Parcel tray and speaker grilles in place - complete with dust from last 3 weeks of screwing around

Had to use a screw to hold top of sail panel in place (it is actually black and can't see it in normal light) . should have put some black tape along the edge of the window rubber to hide the body colour

Carpet and seat belt stalks going in

Should have it done by tomorrow afternoon if i get off my backside

Interior is re-installed and the reduction in noise level is really noticeable

Just have to finish the console and install it

After looking at the pics - I should vacuum the interior as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> The Cat House All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: