Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
mo872: Sooner Cat...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: icon_note mo872: Sooner Cat... Reply with quote

mo2872:

.....aka "Allowance"(thanks, LoHo!)
A little history, it was a special order, by a Tulsa dentist. Ordered with 302-2V, 4 speed, Whisper-Aire, Decor, and heavy duty suspension. Pretty plain vanilla, with the exception of the suspension. From what I have learned, it is one of only two non-big block cars that had it(info from someone at the , so ), I don't have a CBTN, so can't verify.
In 1999, it was sold to owner #2, who put a 499 Maaco paint job on it, and drove it till the timing chain jumped, and he bent a pushrod. With high hopes, he started a 351C swap from a 73 Coug he used to own. Unfortunately, he went through a divorce, and was never able to finish the swap. Enter me in Feb of '07. I know the PO's brother, who had a 67. In talking to him about that car, and what had happened to it, he told me of his bro's being for sale. Needless to say, the wife was willing, provided her guru uncle OK'd the car. A deal was struck, and it was mine!

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/?action=view&current=inprogress.jpg

Figure it is easier to copy and paste the link, than upload photos!

The PLAN:
Four Wheel discs(haven't decided brand)
347 Stroker
Mustang Project LED tails
Changeover to black interior(Thanks Austin, your cat lives on!)
HOK KBC01 Brandywine KandyBasecoat over BC03 Galaxy Grey
Electric Headlight doors
Painless Harness(Following the successful completion of the dude on the , can't recall his name, but got a copy of his write up)
Headlight relays
RocketMan 4 in 1 for the right pod(now the pressure is on, Bob!)
Vintage Air Gen II Compact a/c
Serpentine belt(March if $ allow, donor if not! )

Thanks to LoHo's inspiration, I am doing my paint DIY.....we'll see.....if it turns out half as good as the Hero, I'm jiggy with it...

That's it for now....as you can see, metal work was relatively simple, if not painful to the check book(I'll never use that shop again, happy with work, peeved at lack of even a close quote)

Oh, and the wheels will be something modern, a la the American Racing Rebel, or similar.

Thanks for all y'alls support, help, etc.....[hr]

Just a little update...... mate asked me last night what I was waiting for to get paint put on.....so, I am taking that as permission(easy LoHo), and got back into Go-mode. Finished up a 220 sanding, will apply hi-fill prime, and sandsomemoretoddsan.......cheese n rice, will it never end!! Am going to order my paint supplies(sealer/bc/tc/cc) next week, so.....here we go!!! Progress......as promised....

Wonder if I can pork-barrel sending the motor out on this green light........[hr]
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:22 am

Got my azzzend back from powdercoater Friday afternoon, looks phantabulous! Almost like it belongs on a show car(LoHo)...........
Next comes all the billet accessories, ie, March drive, steering wheel, etc....NOT!!! When am I ever gonna get to flog this Cat??!

Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:12 am

Got some current pics....and, just for LoHo and E-Bob, a Paint-a-mid......oh, and a photo of my show-butt..........
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/
Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Wow, long time, no post on here......well, heres an update!

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_2892.jpg

The galaxy grey takes on different looks in different light....in sunlight looks pretty bright silverish.....may go back to original plan and do whole thing red......we'll see once I get a coat of red on later tonight![hr]
Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:43 am

Another looooong day, but worth the effort....is it perfect? No, if I wanted perfect, I'd pay someone with more skillz than I!!!!
Couple of sweat drips, 2 runs, and apparently I didn't think to seal the tank opening and the bottom side of the engine bay, as I have a fine red dust on some of the silver. Good tho, as it wipes right off, so hopefully the droplets were pretty much dry by the time they got there.......

Any imperfections you may see, it's really your eyes!!! .....

Whatcha think?
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_2996.jpg

BTW, no clear in these pics, will bury it in that later today after sleep![hr]
Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:06 am

So, whose bright idea was it to create clear coat?? Have I ever got a for them.....Had same gun setup specs as the paint, so tried using the same settings, did great on the roof, but as soon as I moved to vertical panels, whammo!, big nasty runs! Thank god for wet sanding!
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_3048.jpg

Thats all you get until AFTER the sanding![hr]
Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:34 am

Cuttin' and buffin' progress......

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_3158.jpg

Question for you that are "experienced":.....The tiny dimples you can see around the flash reflection, will the finer grades of compound remove those, or do I need to hit it with paper again?

Either way, it's coming along......[hr]
Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:00 am

Well, had a very productive night last night, tho my arms are quite rubbery today. Managed to go around the whole car with the 1k grit, and knocked out the majority of the peel. Have a brief respite this weekend, going to the lake with my bro, then will get back on it Sunday afternoon with the 1500 and 2k paper, to finish it off. Then, it's BUFFER TIME! Despite the flaws, I have to say I'm quite pleased with the results! Will post pics after buffing. Like LoHo, I'll never tell where ALL the flaws are![hr]
Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:34 am Post subject:

@#$@!#$%.......fookin' sanding.....

After sacking out in my big ass chair from 8 until 1130 p.m. tonight, I ventured out to the cave to play. With almost two more hours of work, on the section of a fender, behind the wheel arch, I managed to smooth it out. Apparently, this project means to teach me PATIENCE. Funny, I thought my kids were doing just fine at that job.

I had to bump all the way back down to 1000 grit paper to make it happen. So, 1k, 1.5k, 2k, heavy compound, fine compound, and machine glaze, and she looks nice......in that little section. But, at least now I know what it is going to take. If I ever get it "finished", I'll post up some updated pics.[hr]
Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:46 am

As promised, some pics of a "finished" panel.....
http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_3180.jpg

Looks pretty good. Now, as long as the rest of the car co-operates![hr]
Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:47 am

More pics....took my last day of the vacation to have some "Cat-time".......really coming along nicely.....

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_3248.jpg

These are after the first round of buffing.....swirls and chit will go away as I go to finer grades.....or so I hope..... Enjoy!

We now return to T3's regular schedule of (tomorryo, as the 3 yr old is wont to say!)[hr]
Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:25 am

The new pulse of the Cougar.....

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/The%20Power/?action=view&current=IMG_3288.jpg
[hr]
Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 pm

DABlack's seats installed temporarily for FG console mock-up......the foam will be the "plug".....carves/sands nicely! Will keep posted on progress!

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20Interior/?action=view&current=IMG_3337.jpg
_________________[hr]
Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Progress....slow, but steady......

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_3590.jpg[hr]
Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:29 am

A few pics of re-habbed spindles with new discs loosely fitted...:

[img]http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/Cougar%20paint/?action=view&current=IMG_3629.jpg&newest=1[/img]

LoHo will be shocked I got them posted this quickly.......

Also on the "What I did tonight" list, installed hood hinges, cleaned, scuffed, primed steering column, and did some lite cleanup to the mess that has become my garage........[hr]The saga continues after a short Christmas / Festivus / New Years / Valentine's Day break...[hr]Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:19 am

Woohoo!!! I cheated death(well, at least I cheated a painful encounter with a spring compressor), and managed to get one coil installed:

[img]http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/?action=view&current=IMG_3892.jpg[/img]

That thing scared the bejeebus outta me!!! And I ain't scairt to admit it. I had visions of sugar plum fairies, armed with flying springs! .
Safety wire worked great to hold the J-hooks in place, the thing NEVER budged, and I had zero bulging of the spring when under compression.
Whew, one down, one to go![hr]
Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:31 pm

I think my old springs were sprunged.....

SInce I don't have a slab yet, guess what I'ma gonna be doin' this weekend?? Time to make it a roller!!![hr]
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:17 am

Gentlemen, we have leafs......have to order the rubbers/ubolts for them so's I can "complete" it......thought I'd done it on my last order go-round, guess not. Also got drivers side bearings packed(what a messy procedure. Exam gloves were a plus, for sure. Will do the pass side tomorrow, and set it down on the fronts for the first time......rears once I get my parts.....pics:

[hr]
Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Wheels on da ground,
wheels on da ground,
Lookin' kinda cool
Wit yo wheels on da ground!!!

Look, ma, no stands!!! On the front, anyway!!! Parts are ordered for the rear now!!!

[hr]
Sat May 01, 2010 1:52 am

Wow, what a day/evening......started off with wife and both kids staying home from work/school with the crud......fun day for the wife!! The brown parts fairy brought me a load of goods, so the day seemed interminable. Finally get home, eat, visit with the kiddos, who are still fairly whipped from the day, then put them in bed.....and retire myself to the garage! New leaf insulator rubbers, check......new u-bolts, check......new shocks, check......center chunk re-installed, check.....axles/brake backing plates only, check.....old POS rims/tires, check.....ok, the countdown......jack it up off the stands, remove said stands, say a hail Mary, and let er down! Effin-A!!! It's on four wheels!!! Whooooop, dere it is!!!

And, the shocks DID suck up the rearend quite a bit.....no mile-high here! It DOES need some more meat on those rears, tho! Check it out:

Yes, I know I need to do some clean up of the wet-sanding schmutz all over it!!!
I'm so pumped!!!! Tomorrow, I'll be trying to get the steering column in, and roll it out into the sun!! ......provided the sun comes out!!

[hr]
Sun May 02, 2010 2:00 am

Another update......installed pedal hangar assy and steering column today, with the much appreciated assistance of my 9 y.o., who suddenly seems to have taken an interest in "helping".....loved it!!
Rolled it out into the graylight we had today....not much sun! I think with the weight on the front, the new tires/wheels, the stance will be just right for my tastes......

[hr]
Posted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Move along, nothing new to see here...........updates forthcoming, after the Cathouse build........

[hr]
Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 am

Well, with the cathouse "done", more or less....time to work on da cah!!!

POR15 Chassis black on the belly, makes a HUGE difference:

[hr]
Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:17 am

Well, got some more work done....

R & R'd the drive shaft, wire wheel and a rattle can, then new u joints.....

Then worked on Fastmerc's(farm) Crown Vic disc brake conversion.....

All in all, a pretty good weekend.....

[hr]
Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:31 pm

Finished up the fuel lines, new hardware(AMK), new rubber line. Then said what the fook, and chopped 2" off the filler pipe to make it fit. Seems to work just fine. Still need
to wrap up the sender wiring, since it's just hanging there......

[hr]
Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:25 am

Was a good day.....got the brakes finished up, including the prop valve, had to make a new line for that.....installed flywheel,
clutch disc, and pressure plate..........and my Gooners lost....as did Texas......oh well, there is always next season!!!!

[hr]
Posted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am

Pic update:
Flywheel and clutch on(the first time....you can see the spacer plate is wrong, had to pull everything back off and put on the correct spacer)

Booster, master, prop valve and brake lines all in:

It's in the hole!!! It's in the hole!!!!

Not bolted up yet, but it is sitting on the mounts, with the chain still attached, just in case....

[hr]
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Whoop.....been a "successful" weekend, so far.....now moving into "bonus" territory.......

[hr]
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:54 am

Got the al-lew-minium radidiator test fit last night.........had to cut the flanges off the bottom of the rad to make it sit low enough in the cradles, but they will work.

Also picked up a piece of the fuel line puzzle:

Think I'm going to have to go electric fan(s) with the re-located lower hose outlet. Don't see any way around it without interfering with pulleys, or dangling the hose under the sway bar.
Thoughts?

[hr]
Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:57 am

Gentlemen, the car has POWER!!!

Headlights, horns, and some dash lights work......That's it, as far as I can tell....still no starter, but, that may be all under-dash fookups, or things I still have not gotten plugged in.....
But we are steadily marching for'ard!!!![hr]
Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:54 pm

Ok, getting closer......coolant lines, and last bit o fuel line will be going in tonight......should be trying to fire it this weekend!!! Will keep you posted.

[hr]
Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:09 am

Coolant/fuel lines all run on Saturday, then had C-parties to go to. Woke up Sun. under the weather, but HAD to try and fire....sloshed about 3 oz fuel into the carb,
crossed my fingers, turned the key......BINGO, fire is my name-O!!!! The Heap lives. Didn't take a vid, quite frankly, I've felt like the grateful dead all day today, so,
the "progress" I made was good......

[hr]
Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Gentlemen, start your engine(s)..........WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Took Uncle Stang about 15 minutes to get it set, we fired, he tweaked the timing, and buttoned it up. I'm STILL chubbing.

In case you are wondering, I'm the guy in red, with the big dopey grin on his face. .

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc235/mo2872/?action=view&current=enginerunning.mp4

[hr]... which brings us to 2011...[hr]Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:23 pm

Gentlemen, (drumroll), please........

After much debate, many to the umpteenth power mind-changes, I give you, THE wheels......Not only did I NOT go with the C57's, I didn't go Coys at all. Found these American Racing ones for many less dabloons, and, got the look I fell in lust with after the photochop thread on the .......take a look, I couldn't be happier:

Keep in mind, the back one in the photos is actually a front. I wanted to get a "feel" for how it was going to look. The correct backs are 18x9, with 255/45's, whereas the fronts are 17x8 with 225/45's.....I think it's going to be PERFECT. And, that's all that really matters, in the end, yes? Love the grey centers, can't wait to be able to roll it out into the sun to see everything sparkle together......

[hr]
Posted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:26 am

Making progress.....slowly, but it's progress all the same.......

Headliner stretchin'....

Tread pattern....

Front edge glued/trimmed....

Windshield seal installed.....

....gettin' there!

[hr]
Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:15 am

Headliner install continues.....taking my time, backing off when I get flustered......at the C pillars now. Looking fairly good, I think. A couple wrinkles, but, nothing any worse than The Tool had. Seems I remember Royce saying on that thread a heat gun/hair dryer would take those out...........

Should be able to button it up tonight.[hr]
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:56 am

:woohoo:, backglass is IN......pics tonight, provided we don't get blown away by :tornado:

[hr]
Posted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Fun item first, backglass:

Not so fun stuff:

Shop garage door damage from tonights storm.....could have been SOOOO much worse.....

Flash wasn't working on the camera, so couldn't get a pic from the outside of the door, nor could I get a pic of all the roof damage. But, all-in-all, we're thankful that it wasn't anything worse. Predicted 70-80 mph winds, neighbors said my big maple tree in the front yard was touching the ground, so maybe higher than 80. They were standing at their window, watching. Said all my shingles on the western roof side looked "like ruffled chicken feathers....." GREAT!!!![hr]
Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Gentlemenz, we have, sealed and trimmed back glass, carpet, annnnnnddddd.......dashlights!!!!

The camera doesn't do the lights justice.....very easy to read. MustangProject LED dash kit for 68 ruuuustang.....

The carpet is just laying in there for now. Need to put in the floor plug/plates, then will install it permanent like.....

[hr]
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Mutha fooking trucka!!!! :angry: :plainolepissedoff:.........

That's what I get for trying to pinch a gosh dang penny........back wheels....NO GETTING!!!!!! Seems the mfg has decided to "discontinue" because they just don't sell well......, over? I've been in CONSTANT contact with who I ordered them from since DAY ONE, and NO word about that......then he goes on to say that the mfg says the PN I ordered NEVER EVEN EXISTED!!!!! Oh yeah? Well I got an invoice with the PN on it, jack-hole, how'd it get there, and how was it 'orderable' from YOUR site?

I'm so stinkin' mad at them, at myself, at all the websites that sang PRAISES to this guy I ordered from, I could s*** glass, and swim in alcohol.......fook-fook-fookity fook-fook!!!!![hr]
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

While the Saga of Wheels continues, made some more forward progress.....got my "new and improved" dashpad from WCCC.....all the studs lined up, save ONE......the one just to the left of the drivers side a/c mount.....not even CLOSE to the hole location. But, I knew when I ordered it they weren't "perfect" yet....and who knows how long before they would be. So, a quick drilling, and it will be just fine. Pics are of it just sitting in place, not bolted up yet. Will do that AFTER the w/s install.

[hr]
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 am

Quick update on the wheel return saga......had an email waiting for me when I got home from the ....."Sorry for my delayed(read over two weeks) reply. We will send you UPS return labels tomorrow. Are they still in their original shipping package? If not, please package them with care, because if they are damaged in shipping, you will be responsible for that...."

Well, my original return request I said I wanted my refund before I returned. Yeah, I know, asking a lot.....but, considering the situation, fair is fair, since they wanted me to pay before THEY shipped, I can expect likewise. Replied to them with assurances that my workplace shipping dept handled parts every day that were worth more than his bi-annual salary, and they'd be packaged with care. I also advised that I would be waiting for the return labels, AND the credit to my paypal account PRIOR to sending them out the door, just as they expected of me.

So, while it's still not complete, the process has begun to bring this drama to a close.

[hr]
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 am

New pics of the dashpad....shot these off to WCCC for their continued efforts to "perfect" this pad....

You can see the stud is off by about an inch or so......some MORON didn't realize that bracket came off until last night.....HMMMM, wonder who THAT was???

Showing stud and bracket:

Where it falls:

Bracket removed:
[hr]
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:40 am

Whoop-whoop.......new backs are in......while not a perfect match, they will work with the fronts (insert D. Jones voice here) "forrr nowah"........will order fronts at a later time, to allow my other
half to recover......

After Two's "comparo" request.....:

[hr]
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:50 pm

Side by side comparo.......the one in the hole is the new Coys.....one on the left will go on the front, for now......

Oh, and Two....., they mounted the WRONG size tires!!! Ordered 255's, mounted 245's!!!! , I can't win with this wheel thing![hr]
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:56 am

Better camera pics.......

Same pic, with flash....

So, it's down on 4 corners, bellhousing is back on, with the hydro clutch slave ATTACHED..........those were my two goals....the rest of the weekend is BONUS.....

[hr]
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:31 am

A'ight, gents.....new pics.....

Drivers side glass in and mostly adjusted:

Pass. side still lacks the door glass(waiting for parts from WCCC, be here today):

That's it for now!

[hr]
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:41 am

Finally, two fenders on.....starting to look like a car again.......

[hr]
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 am

Much progress over the weekend.....

Clutch slave mounted:

From the side:

BTW, there is lots more room between the slave and the header than the picture shows.....

Bob's PAWS control box mounted, just ziptied it to the wiper motor support... (mini-write up coming, Bob!)

Doors all sealed and working properly, panels on, but not secured:

W/S is in, sealed, and trimmed out, wipers are on, mirror glass is now on the mirror, and a million other little things I didn't shoot pics of.....but it was a great weekend of moving forward!

Oh, transmission is ready to go back in:

New lower dust boot.......what a pain that is to figure how it goes on.....[hr]
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:47 am

New steering wheel arrived today.....Grant 1180.....14.75" diameter....close nuff to original dia.!

I also got the polished horn button/center, so the black one will be going buh-bye.....[hr]
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:20 am

Well, since B and LoHo made me cry yesterday morning, saying they were getting a 4 day holiday, I decided to play hookie yesterday afternoon and make some progress.......you could also say, I took my ball and went home.............

Rear bumper on....

Steering wheel mounted on the column.....

Clutch master mounted and plumbed.....

Rented a transmission jack on the way home, trans going back in.......

And back on the ground.......

Got up this morning and reinstalled the driveshaft, and did some shop cleanup.....

Kidless for most of the weekend, so, looking forward to some more "giant leaps" forward......[hr]
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:47 am

More leaps this weekend.....got lots o shop time......even rolled it out......

This is my favorite photo of the weekend, what with the flag in the background, and all....(ignore the misaligned quarter extension, will fix it soon)

First wash job in ? At least 4.5 years.......

Forgot to upload any interior shots, but it's mostly back in.....dashpad and r/h fascia, and kickpanels are all I lack there......getting CLOSE....SCARY close....

[hr]
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:26 am

Interior as of this a.m.........still some things to do.......

The seats are the ones I picked up from DaBlack(Austin) when his car finally gave up the ghost. Front ones are pretty comfortable, modded from a 19?? Mustang. I'm guessing late 80's, early 90's maybe. Back one needs recovered, but I'll probably end up doing my original blue back seat, as it seems to have more spring left in the frames, and seems to fit better.

[hr]
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

Well, it's Sunday evening.......and I was going to take a spin this weekend. Did I? Nope. Didn't take A spin.....I took MULTIPLE SPINS!!!!!

IT LIVES!!!!!

Video forthcoming.....having issues getting it loaded onto the PC.

Needs mufflers, and an alignment, REAL BAD! .

Haven't chubbed like this since......1987. .[hr]
Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:12 am

(drumroll, please....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVFAIaFE7Ao&feature=youtu.be

Ignore the fool behind the glasses......![hr]
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Exhaust in, pic of the tips I got......

Will have a vid in a few days, picked up from muff shop, delivered to alignment guy.........

BTW, those trunk/extension trims are WCCC's "blemished" pieces! Look damn fine, to me![hr]It appears that Todd ran out of film for his digital camera the afternoon of Sept 27, 2011. Sadly, we never got the promised video or another picture after the exhaust tip posting. [hr]Hey, now, the video is around here somewheres!!!

But, here's some updated photos of what I've been plugging away at:

Package tray fabbed and test fit:

Kick panels in:

New armrests:

New antenna:

First attempt at templating the face pad....missed it a touch, but the gauge area fit decent...:

And the shiney scuff plates, pic rotated so you don't have to strain your necks:

About it for now....supposed to get the windows tinted tomorrow, hopefully he's still coming. Will get updated pics after!![hr]Way cool, we've got tint!

Had to go for a ride!
[hr]Just for Bob! Knew it was around somewhere.....promised sound after Magnaflow packs and exhaust install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmsMoDC4Ahg&context=C3a783b5ADOEgsToPDskIDqpJiu3g3mRqrQOUQ5Zl6

, and just for fun, from a few years ago, #2 at his Christmas program.....three guesses which is mine, and the first two don't count!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbe5R5rX5z4&feature=related[hr]

todd - some ideas for rear parcel shelf- Speaker grilles are from door trims of some Ford product. Flush mounted the trims and bolted speakers into an enclosure under the parcel shelf. Box on far left is inertia real cover - that will get moved when I relocate belts into trunk[hr]Hey, thanks, Leon! That looks good, and I see you have the de-mist on that one! Question for you....does your tray tuck under the back of the back seat, or just butt up against it? Under or against the rear trim panels? Thanks!

[hr]I put extra vinyl on the tray covering so it hangs down over the frame behind the back seat. So i need to put the shelf in place before I install the rear seat backrest[hr]Ahhhh-ha....thats a pretty clever idea, too! [hr]
Ok.....update time....TheRktmn's headlight relay kit with Probe motor support is "mostly" installed. "So easy, even an electro-tard can do it!".....Awesome, Bob!

Facepad templating is going well, tho I've run into a question....where the center a/c vent is, on the "stock" pad, there is the trim that runs across the bottom face of the vent, providing some "filler"....:

How it looks from a distance:

The template, I left it blank:

Now, I'm planning to use material that is no thicker than original, so, I could use the stock trim that runs along the perimeter of the face pad, thus supplying the filler. I've also considered re-cutting the template to include that spot being filled in, a-la the XR7 center dash piece below the vent.

Whaddya think? Personally, I think it needs SOMETHING there, be it the stock trim, or, just using the chosen material, and inside cutting the vent location out.

Also, a pic of the vinyl/pleather/faux cowhide I picked up for the package tray covering....black, with a texture to it....:

Close up of the texture:

[hr]Now that I get to see it, I agree.... yes, you really need some sort of trim around the center dash vent. Are the AC grills black on a standard? If it was a chrome center vent, it would really set it off and then I'd cut the template to just clear the edges of the vent with no need for any kind of trim.

That cover material you got looks indetical to what I covered my rear shelf with. Will use it on the trunk filler panels one day too.[hr]*ahem*....normally, they have some chrome around them, but the vanes are black....Mine was in such poor condition, I ground down the rough spots, and just shot the whole thing black.....[hr]
*ahem*....normally, they have some chrome around them, but the vanes are black....Mine was in such poor condition, I ground down the rough spots, and just shot the whole thing black.....

I should put a caveat here....if I follow through with my rear-seat vents idea, then the center vent will go away, and just get covered.....and this discussion will be moot.[hr]Then it sounds like you need to make THAT decision before you finish the dash.... otherwise it will be double work.... again. [hr]True that......ok....so that would answer the trim question, too, because of the way it's shaped thru there, it would look stoopit if the face was flush. Easy 'nuff......

Thanks!
[hr]Package tray covered in the vinyl and installed:

Man, that seat is dirty. DOH!

Headlight relay kit is done, ran the power feed to a distribution block on the drivers side fender wall, power from that to the circuit breaker in the kit, and from the CB to the relays:

I can't get a good shot of the relays, since I installed them on the bottom of the headlight buckets!

Work continues on the face pad and custom console![hr]More decisions.....thanks to Bbbob for steering me towards New Vintage USA.......
1968 Muscle series:

or the 1969 Muscle series:

[hr]I think the 1969 ones look really nice. New Vintage will also make custom gauges to match (i.e. 0-15 psi fuel pressure gauge).[hr]Yup, discovered that, too. $195-250 more for "customizing" the faces of these, if I wanted. However, I have since learned that a super-top-secret project is still on the burners, just simmering, sooooo, I'ma gonna wait it out a bit longer.....[hr]Took some new photo-graphs.......ignore the droopy eyelids, I have no motors holding them up at the moment!

[hr]Damn! That red looks good in the sun.

In the dead-on rear shot... what's that hanging down in the shadow between the rear shock and the center of the rearend? Issat the clutch slave?[hr]No, that is the Crown Vic E-brake cables.....need to "tidy" that up better, just haven't decided on a "good" way to go about it. Was thinking of making my own cables, and running them factory-style, but I'll have to come up with a way to get one side to operate bass-ackwards.[hr]So....going by a shop today for stripe estimate.....who's got color ideas?? Seperator stripe betwixt the red and the grey......black?? Bright silver? Hmm?? Open to ideers!!![hr]Dark grey metallic[hr]Picked up my Vintage Air Streamline 4 knob control panel yesterday......

The controls will be going in the console, so, needed them to finish up that build. Pics on that later.

I'm betting that after a few "cruises" this summer with no a/c, the wife will give blessing to the rest of the purchase! .....:evilplan:[hr]Well, here we go, as Leon requested in the Shop Talk thread, current pics of my console build-up:

Need to trim out the gap with the carpet on the pass. side:

Straight on, it's bolted to the dash under the radio bezel location, 2x1/4" bolts, and the face plate will be removeable for access to those bolts, the bezel attach hardware, and the a/c control panel:

Marking the circle for the drink holder, picked up that ruler at Hobby Lobby, pretty handy....:

You'll notice several circle diameters, 3", 3.5", and 4"....not sure which to use yet, so, I'll cut them out of a scrap piece, set the scrap at the depth I have between the top and bottom plates, and see which works best for the cup I use 99.99% of the time. The reason the holder is so far back on the console....R, 2, and 4....when the shifter is in those gears, it covers a lot of ground.

Now I'm wondering where on the face to mount the a/c controls? High? Low? Centered? My thought is, just high of centered, so if I want to add other items below it, I could, i.e., extra guages, maybe? Thoughts?

Oh, and the gap between the gear lever, and the face will be filled, as well. Thinking about using the stock shift bezel, or making some plate to trim out the hole for the lever....may even get another boot, and mount it from the inside up through the hole...that may be best.

That's where I'm at as of tonight![hr]Id go close to the top, maybe a few inches down from the radio, down want it too low so you have to reach over your shifter too much.
It also maybe easier to route the wireing that way if you want to put in anything like a clock or I pod holder, NOS panic button, oil slick switch you can do that lower down and still have the room. [hr]Hmmmm, I was thinking that if you intend to add something like some more aux. gauges, that those would be better toward the top so they're in plainer view. You don't really need to see the AC controls to operate them. Just a thought.

I like that ruler deal. Might have to pick one of those up.

Oh and you need to vacuum the carpet SPK[hr], I KNEW someone would comment on the carpet.....yup, it's due a good cleanup.[hr]Well, the Heap got a new part today.....'lectrifying my fan! Wooohooo....pics as progress happens!
[hr]Todd - cut out some 1:1 scale images from cardboard and stick them on with magic mending tape to gauge the effect of different positions. Take some pics so you can compare them on your PC[hr] will do, Leon.....saw yours, and decided that was a great idea![hr]Ok, they're blurry, but they're pics.....
High:

Mid:

Low:

After sitting there looking at it, and going through the shift pattern, I think I prefer the High mount....plus that will leave room for possible future gauges in that panel, as well.

Thoughts?

Also got the cup holder cut out, and the edge rounded over. It will be covered in 'glass, so the burn marks from moving too slowly will not be visible! .
[hr]did you make the hole big enough to allow for the thickness of the glass?[hr]Yup, sure did, Leon! I may not be a smaaaaht mayun, but I'm no Fastcayat.....(in my best Forrest Gump!)

Thanks for looking out for me![hr]Hmm, here's a thought.....why not make an insert for that hole, by glassing around the base/bottom of a sacrificial cup?? Think I'll give that a whirl![hr]Lots of options

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99-Beetle-Cupholder-Insert-042612CH08-/310397002781?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48451a641d

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ModQuad-RAZOR-CUP-HOLDER-08-2009-Dressup-body-motorsports-parts-377186-37-7186-/270964811362?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f16c2e662

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Diamond-Plate-Chrome-Motorcycle-Cup-Holders-Fit-1-Handlebar-/310396837492?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item484517de74[hr]Ooooh, like that ModQuad one....didn't notice it's diameter, though.

More progress, cut and mounted the a/c control...looks good, IMO......

The way it brackets on, I decided to leave the cutout as directed, and will glass over the opening, and dremel out the cured glass. Should be good!

[hr]Did a little bit more fiddling with the console last night. Extended the pass. side bottom edge to mate up with the tunnel better, and came up with a plan for all the empty real estate between the shifter and the cup holder......but you'll have to wait for pics to hear of it!! Should get that mod done tonight, and post pics soon.

Picked up my fleece yesterday(first layer for the glass!)....so....Mo's Glass and Composites will be in bidness soon! [hr]A'ight, gents, it's glassin' time! Got the structure the way I wanted it, then fleeced the assembly:

Wish I'd shot a pic with the faceplate in place.....looks great, IMO....

With the structure fleeced, it was time to put on some resin.....unfortunately, I only had one mixing container, which led to my early "done for the night"....which you will see in the pics....but, I'm pleased with the results so far!

You can see in this picture, the faceplate.....and the glob of gelatinous resin that cooked off before I could get it on the frame. I'm guessing that is because it was my third batch in that container...but I've never glassed before, so I could be wrong! A trip to the local paint and sundry is in order tomorrow(today) at lunch, it seems....

The whole shebang....You can see here, my "A-ha!" moment....added a recessed tray to hold phones, etc, between the shifter and the cupholder:

Another view, different angle....:

Peeves me off a touch, that I couldn't spread it fast enough to prevent the cook-off in the container.....things were going splendidly, up until then. Such is the learning curve, I suppose, when you've not done something before!

Anyway, eager to finish this project, because it seems to be turning out decent, so I can't wait to see the end result![hr]
Just went out to check on curing.....all the excess resin in the container is now out of the container......looks like I can use that one again! Clean as a whistle, pulled out in a perfect mold of the container. Resin applied to the fleece has hardened to the touch, and is now cool. The heat generated by the exothermic(I think that's what it's called) reaction between the resin and the catalyst is amazing. The glob of product was smoking hot.....literally smoking. Now it resembles chunks of amber.....quite similar to what you see on Jurassic Park! . Very pleased!!![hr]
It looks like, in the pics, that the recessed area is off-square with the shifter opening......that's just the way the fleece moved during resin application.....the holes are parallel. I'll be able to visually straighten that out with effort from the sanding arm.....GREAT!!!!

Darn newbies and their "grandeous" plans......( at ya, Rookie!)

Time for some sleep.....see you guys on the flipside![hr]So if I'm understanding correctly, the fleece is taking the place of the fiberglass matting material that causes all kinds of nasty itching and stuff... not to mention the mess? I've never seen fleece being used and matting is nowhere to be seen in your pics.

Please enlighten....[hr]Shhh... we aren't supposed to tell him. We're all waiting to see what happens... ;)[hr], fleece goes down first, then the fiberglass mat. So I'm still in store for the nasty itching.....and the mess. Think I'll do that part outside, simply unfolding the chop-mat left strands all over the place.

From what I understand, the fleece gives the mat something to "bite".....[hr]Well, no pics tonight, but the whole thing is now in resin. Glass over the weekend, possibly.......depends, may motor up to a show about 20-30 miles away.

[hr]Woo-wooo....more progress today.......got to thinking, I'm not glassing for strength, the structure is stout enough, why not smoooth the fleece, and skip the glass? So, started sanding, and I'm uber-pleased with the results so far!

Close up of the face and a/c controls:
[hr]Bodywork started this afternoon. Looking really nice, IMO. Will post pics tomorrow(later today, actually).[hr]OK, I couldn't wait.....went back out shopside, and started sanding......here are the results so far......

Getting there!!!![hr]Well, no pics, but, made lots of progress since the last ones. Multiple skim-coats of filler, lots of sanding, guide-coat, sand, guide-coat, sand........LOVE IT!!!!
Looking really slick, IMO. Shot the whole thing with primer, just to get a feel......may not be as "grandeous" as SeanD's, but it sure is coming out nice! Had a thought on the recessed area......tell me why I shouldn't mask off the rest, and shoot the recess with either bed liner in a can, or, rubberized undercoat?

My thinking, those are both fairly durable materials, and would make that area look "done"........thoughts?

Time for a shower. Long drive home in the car, then 1 hour weedeating, multiple hours spraying HIGH ZOOT weed killer on neighbors pasture, then console work=schweaties!

[hr]With the fleece base your not getting any flexing on the matting as you sand it?
Id be worried that it would flex and potentaly crack. [hr]No, there are no open span's, it's all backed by solid wood. Had I put holes in the structure to lighten it up, I'd be concerned about that, as well, but since it's solid, it's pretty.....well, solid.

New pics:

This side had a sand-thru, so, had to reinforce with glass....it will get sanded smooth tonight:
[hr]Sanded the repair area smooth, and slicked it off with a putty(filler thinned with fiberglass resin, makes it flow smoother, fill pinholes, etc) coat. That dried, and got sanded to 400 grit. Man, talk about smooth. Will require at least two applications of hi-build primer, as there are a couple of flaws yet, but I don't think they deserve more filler. So, pressing on with the first primer coat, will block that, hit it again, and see where I'm left. Might could shoot some paint soon!

Pics tomorrow, left both camera cards at work today!!!! GAAAAAH!!!!
[hr]Pics! In primer....still a couple of trouble areas requiring attention, but, I'll get it!

The shifter hole will get the factory trim plate, modified to fit. Cupholder will get an insert. That leaves me with what to do with the recessed area, and I've an idea for that, but I will need F-I-L's assist ............so, I'll bug him on my lunch break.

So what if has pallets of "paying" work to do.....he should be glad I'm still keeping his daughter from moving back in with them! [hr]NICE!

[hr]Thanks, Bob.

Got home and hit the high build with 400 grit....took out my flaws, and man is it ever slick n smooth.....so, just had to see it in the car.....

Here you go.....:

From as straight on as I can get from the front seat:

Drivers side:

Pass. side:

A little closer up:

You may remember from previous pictures, on the pass. side, it has a sloped area that runs from the bottom edge, and angles/curves up to the rounded back edge....you can see it well enough in this one:

Here is why I did that.....

The curving slope meets the tunnel nicely. The pass. side of the box stuck over that side of the tunnel leaving a gap, so I filled the gap with blue foam board. The foam was angle cut on the bottom edge to rest nicely on the tunnel. When I wrapped with the fleece, the fabric created the perfect fill where I couldn't do it with the foam(probably COULD be done, but, I couldn't figure out HOW). So, this worked out well, although it could have been extended further than I did. It's solid, and rests nicely on the floor this way, so I'm happy.

Up next, paint and trim! [hr]Pretty .....[hr]I gotta ask - why no gauge openings under the AC control?[hr]Lookin good 3![hr][quote='TheRktmn' pid='746' dateline='1336560286']
I gotta ask - why no gauge openings under the AC control?
[/quote]

Really? You're going to set yourself up for THAT?? ....ok, here goes.....cuz I'm waiting to see what a certain mad scientist comes up with!!!!

Actually, it won't be hard to add holes there for "future" gauges.....

[hr]I was afraid the fiberglass would crack. WDIK? [hr]Well......hadn't thought of that.....guess we'll all learn together! But, for now, the plan is to leave it be. I have some ideas for there, though.[hr]No pictures, but, I've been working on trimming out the recess, and the shifter hole this evening. During commercials, anyway! Anyone watch Revenge? Wife and I LOVE that show......(the leading lady isn't bad on the eyes, either.....).

*Edit*....Two more hours elapsed, and my "trim" is going as planned, to an extent......pics will follow some time!

Recessed area is curing......3 coats of "bedliner in a can", and it looks pretty good. Still eager to shoot color.

[hr]Yep, we watch Revenge. [hr]So, shot the console with rattle-can black last week, and decided I didn't like it. Too much black on the interior. So I wet-sanded the black smooth, and shot some galaxy grey on it tonight. Looked great, right up until I cleared it. Wrinkle city! I guess it's back to the ole drawing board. Will sand it all off, and try again![hr]Yeah, a sealer would be a good barrier between the rattlecan and the good stuff.[hr]Yup.....can't get my phone-pics to load up on p-bucket for some reason....see if this works.....

[hr]Sadly, all paint/clear is stripped back off. Thought I might cry there for a bit. , whaddya gonna do......step back, and try again, that's what!

On a more positive note, got some "fuse taps" for glass fuses today. Slipped a new fuse, and a tap in the courtesy light slot, re-terminated the power wire for RKTMN's mini-tach, plugged it onto the fuse tap, reconnected the battery, and went for a spin. Tach and courtesy lights back to normal. Wish I could say the same for that gelatinous(bouncy) speedo needle!!! [hr]Well after the paint disappointment, and stripping it all off, I decided to focus on the recess area trim. Here's the results so far.....

What I did:
Made a trek to Hobby Lobby, and picked up some sticks of 1/8" basswood, 1/2" wide, and some .08 tin sheets. "Boxed" out the recess with the basswood, then cut some 1" strips from the tin(easy to cut, scored with a blade, then mounted in the vise, bend back and forth until it snaps). Then I snipped each piece of tin to fit on one side of the recess, and bent to fold over the top, again using the vise, and a rubber mallet. Used scrap basswood as "cushions", and for a sharper edge to the bends.

What's left:
Mark and cut each corner for a 45*, figure out if tin can be soldered for the corners, then attach each pieces corresponding basswood to the tin(epoxy, most likely), for a "drop in" trim.....so far, so good!

Put a piece of the basswood in the photo for reference. Think I may go get some more of the tin to "wrap" the edges of the shift-hole with.

[hr]Trim 45*'d.......looking pretty good, IMO......now, if I can solder it together, I'll be in hog heaven.....

Tin is super thin, though.....thinking I may want an "expert" to solder together.[hr]Use a solder gun and do it from the underside, just go slow[hr]Try JB weld on the underside.

Not THAT JB though..... [hr], that was funny.

Think I'll try the "not THAT JB Weld" from the back.....If I pook it up, may look into learning how to operate the horizontal mill, and just make a solid insert at FIL's shop......[hr]Not much console work lately. Giving myself "time away", to come back at it fresh. But, I did order and install the cupholder insert.....fits like I made it that way.....

Looks really good with the recess trim, too....but I didn't take a pic of that, of course.[hr]No progress to report on "Project Console". Been bouncing it around in my head to "start over", as I'm not 100% pleased with the form it's in now.

Started the dash-revamp last night. Had Linn at WCCC send me a beat up set of dash housings to, as LoHo would put it, "cut up"......my new Dremel was put through it's paces. Man, does that plastic stink when it melts! Not to mention, gets nice and hot to burn any exposed skin! .[hr]Well, project "dash panel" has been underway a bit.......progressing nicely. No pics as of yet, I kinda want it to be a surprise! (or burn it if it turns out like my latest boating venture!!!)[hr]Well, the dash panel project is turning out rather nice! Sometimes I even surprise myself! Will post up the pics when I get to work and have a better connection, this one at home is pokey-slow![hr]Ok, so the dash face is getting a complete overhaul.....take a look, I'm pretty pleased with the progress so far!

Standard dash in normal, unmolested mode:

After some attention from the mighty Dremel:

For those un-familiar with the standards, the gauges are mounted in a housing that attaches to the backside of this fascia, and it "breaks" in a similar spot to the XR7 center/switch panel. The right side of the standard dash is composed of the same kind of plastic as the left, and covers the dash where the center and r/h XR7 pieces would, all in one piece. For ease of fabrication, I took the two faces and joined them with glass cloth/resin from the backside:

I then covered the whole thing in blue masking tape to keep the resin from sticking to the plastic face panels. Sorry, no picture of that step, but I do have one of "after" for later. Then it was a matter of laying up the glass per mfg's inst
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> The Cat House All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: