Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations Rock Auto Discount codes West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
What did you do to your Classic Cougar today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Local Hero
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Started installing the TCP components.

Upper control arms are a direct fit. Man are they nice. I currently set them at the exact same length as the stock ones. I don't know the total amount of adjustment that are built into to them. But they went right on with no drama.

I can't say the same for the Bob Drake Repro idler arm that I got from WCCC. It's nice in that it has grease fittings on the two movable points. But I had to trim off the bottom of the center sleeve when I learned it was too long for me to even get the castle nut deep enough to get a cotter pin in it.

Moving to the lower control arms, I found that the factory mounts are about an 1/8th inch too narrow for them to fit. I could wedge them in there with a lot of persuasion, but there's no way that an alignment shop will be able to adjust them for camber later on.

Gonna rob the Porta-Power from Buckeye Boys Rod and Custom World Headquarters tomorrow morning and pry the mounts out a little bit so they'll fit easily yet allow for adjustment later on.

The goal right now is just get the thing to the point where I can bolt the wheels back on it and park it in it's winter spot on the other side fo the shop. It will likely not have front shocks on it, tie rods or a few other misc. pieces. I'll be using the wheel skates for that.
Local Hero
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

The porta-power did the trick. Just a few pumps on the expander attachment and the lower control arms went right in. So those are done. Added the strut rods too. Those are super nice as well. But it is a trick to try torquing them to 150 ft/lbs while sliding around on a creeper. Overall, they install much easier than the original rubber biscuit bushings do.

I even managed to get the spindles remounted between the control arms while mounting the coil springs that didn't even have to be compressed. I think the secret is the Opentracker roller spring perches. They move so nice that it makes spring installation all that much easier. Plus it helps that the shorter coils were cut when I put the car back together during the last re-restoration.

Have a great Turkey Day everyone.
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

So far today I have changed the thermostat back to the 180 from the 195, started it up for the first time since the stuck float/crap getting through the filter incident.
I also measured for a 'pusher' electric fan and siphoned all the gas I can out of the tank in preparation for replacing the tank and lines.
I used a cheap liquid hand pump from Harbor Freight to get the fuel out and it worked great. I fitted the inlet side with a FRAM G3 inline filter so all the fuel that came out was filtered and did not contaminate my gas jugs. I put the fuel I took out (about 9 gallons) in my daily driver. It seemed a shame to 'waste' all that E-Free gas, but there was still a few gallons of hippie gas in there after the Tulsa debacle.
The fuel filter I used during siphoning had some grit caught in it, so I guess that answers the question of whether I should change the tank or not.
Now it's time to pull the tank drain plug and disconnect the lines.
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Well, I got the new tank & sender installed, also ran the new fuel line from trunk to torsion box. The front line supplied is NOTHING like the OEM line.
Called NPD, the 'service' guy there kept saying that I must have ordered the wrong kit. The line has a Classic Tubing PN MUF2012-SS. A search on their website brings up nothing.
Luckily I had not pulled the old line out so I am reusing that portion and can still run the car. I had to email him pictures of what I SHOULD have received and the part I did receive. I have ZERO faith that I will hear back from that guy so I will probably call my buyer at NPD tomorrow.
The new XR7 sending unit looks great, I am hoping NOT having a low fuel light on a bone dry empty tank isn't an issue. Posted the question to CCCF, will watch for answers.
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

OEM style and one pictured in NPD's catalog:

'MUF2012-SS' sent by NPD:

Wombat
Original Curbster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Not sure what they sent but there are two fuel lines for 69/70 - the big block/ competition suspension and the normal one. Neither look like that. Take the wheel off and see if it fits?
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Not even close. Even if I could straighten it out it's not long enough.
Local Hero
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Over the long weekend..... although, most are long weekends for me anymore... :( I got the rest of the TCP parts installed.

Overall, the parts are SUPER nice and everything has grease fittings including the sway bar bushings that bolt to the subframe.

The tie rods still haven't arrived and I HAD to get the thing moved into its winter spot so I could get the rest of the fleet situated.

So I reinstalled the front brakes and made a mental note that I'm going to blow apart the front calipers and add new seals before driving it next year. I also gave the wheels a once-over with Mothers polish. They were starting to get a touch oxidized.

With everything bolted up and dropped back on the ground I can already see that I'm going to have to adjust the length of the upper A arms. I'm also going to need to pull the lower arms in a bit as the front tires are right at the edges of the fender openings. No time for that right now. So I propped the four corners up on a set of rolling wheel dollies and pushed it over into its winter spot on the other side of the shop.

I proceeded the get all of the other cars moved into place as well.

Every year the walls of the shop close in a little bit closer due to the accumulation of parts and pieces that I need to keep. Case in point, I saved the three year old rebuilt engine out of my last beater that I parted out over the summer.

The fleet only fits in the shop storage area one-way. While attempting to squeeze the wife's 75 Olds Delta 88 Vert into its spot, I successfully creased the rear quarter panel on the front license plate bracket of my 88 T-Bird.

:'(

If I had a choice, I'd rather the damage happen to the Bird. But instead it looks like I'll have another body to repair in the spring along with having to respray the entire driver's side rear quarter panel on her car.
johnboy
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Since it's her car... She was bound to notice...
i have been lucky on that point. Specially with your mishap, i just decided to park the Cougar for winter with Nicole's help from now on: showing me the distance to obstacles as i back into the wall spot.
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

No word from NPD regarding the wrong fuel line, but no surprise there.

Don did reply to my CCCF query regarding the Low Fuel light coming on with a bone dry tank. He says it should be on.

Since mine wasn't coming on I spent a a bunch of time troubleshooting that. Finally figured out how it works and what the problem was. It works now and BTW it takes about 25 seconds to come on from the time you turn the key on.

Maybe tomorrow I will get some eFree gas and fire her up. I need to move things around the shop so I can get the truck in for the engine swap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> The Cat House All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: