Forums-All The Curb The Backroom The Street The Cat House New Posts Search all posts Private Messaging Board Statistics
Classic Cougar Community MercuryCougar.net Johns Classic Cougars National Parts Depot NPD Cougar Parts RCCInnovations West Coast Classic Cougars
Main Gallery The Curbsters Curbster Albums
Reset Shoutbox
Show All Hide All Address Book The Fish Toggle Curbtime Weather Forecast Goto iCandy
Daily Babe
Butcher shop :55 Funniest joke 9:46 Hungarian 2:35 Inquisition 1:15 Lumberjack 2:10 Dead Parot 3:24 SPAM 3:23 Interview 6:00 Silly Walks 4:03 Argument 2:29 wink wink 2:21 Twit Race 5:19
TheCurb FAQs Your Settings Turn Candice ON Turn Candice OFF CeeLo:F**k You
The Curb
You are browsing the forum as a guest. Log in or register to access additional features.
The Curb Forum Index The Curb
A Hippie free, "No Moose" Zone

New PostsNew Posts    AlbumAlbum     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     GBGuestbook     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Open all    Close all    Log inLog in
WDYD Jump to the Ant Farm

Turn Candice on

Turn Candice off

- Reload Boxes -
 Shoutbox
What did you do to your Classic Cougar today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Local Hero
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Finished up fabbing and installing a trailer hitch on my wagon. Then I planned to cut down some dead trees on the estate until Mother Nature had other ideas.

So I went shopside and fitted up the one piece cowl brace on the Hero. It fit perfectly which eased some anxiety that maybe the front end wasn't all square anymore. Only problem is the brace is black and the whole engine compartment is body color. So I'll eventually get around to painting it.

I bolted it down tight anyway and then got the car up in the air and started dismantling the entire front suspension.

Two things: The front shocks are plum 'wore out." Gonna be replacing those with something a little more high zoot. And also the rubber boots for the brake caliper pins collapsed like little balls of tar. So I'l be replacing those too.

I'd really like to do a big brake upgrade while I'm at it. But it's just not in the financial cards right now.

Anyway, I got most of the front components off and will start prepping for the shock tower reinforcing plates next week. Gonna have to call my brother in to weld those. He's certified in tig welding now and has his own portable machine. I've never touched a tig in my life.

The hope is with the tig, the heat level will be lower and it will lessen the damage to the engine compartment side of the shock towers which are all painted with body color too.

Will have to report back on that.

Going out of town this weekend with Dad to the annual James Dean Memorial car show in his hometown of Fairmount, Indiana.
TheRktmn
Original Curbster

1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Tried to start it, fuel pouring out of vent tubes.
Put cover back on, I will deal with THIS later.
Wombat
Original Curbster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Prototype 3 of brake lines for 428. Amazing the amount of crap a RHD conversion generates when the engine is too damn big for the engine bay. Same issue with heater pipes
johnboy
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Washed it... for the first time in 2 years, 2000+ miles later. (this year)
nice sunny day, a tad too hot for my taste.
Wombat
Original Curbster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

SFA ....
Wombat
Original Curbster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Just got back from 24 hours of lemons - 80 mile round trip cruising at 60mph in 68, with a/c on. Still can't get the a/c really cold. No problems. Only Cougar there (what a surprise) and heaps of 2017 Mustangs. Best car was an early 60's Falcon Coupe that has 5.0 drive train
Local Hero
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Dad needed something at Summit so I took him there yesterday. While there I picked up a set of KYB shocks for the front of the Hero. I love that I can drive to their headquarters in less than 30 minutes. It's a blast of a destination.

Today I finished yanking all the rest of the front suspension and started cleaning up and repainting the parts that will get re-used... which at this point appears to be only the steering center link, spindles and coil springs.

I was on Chris Alston Chassisworks site and clicked 'add to cart" a set of inner and outer tie rods and sleeves that are also high zoot. They are designed to eliminate every trace of bump steer. But their site got wonky. So it looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow instead.

Oh and I ended up taking a nap on the creeper today. I take the best naps on my creeper.
Local Hero
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Hero's been a bit on the back burner for a few weeks while I totally re-engineered Dad's air ride system in his Studebaker. It's also prime Fall outdoor yardwork season. But I was able to get back on it for a little bit today.

I got the shock towers all cleaned up and prepped for the reinforcement plates to be welded in. I also cleaned and repainted the front coil springs and cleaned and repainted the center steering link.

While in the driver's side wheel well, I discovered the headlight vacuum reservoir TOTALLY swiss cheesed. So that explains why it was idling like a cigarette boat the last time it was running.

Used one is on its way.
Local Hero
Full Curbster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

Metal was burning and sparks were flying at the House of Hero today.

I added the "wing gussets" to the removable front cross-member. But I took it one step further and cut windows in the plates to more easily get to the lower control arm hardware when setting alignment. I can fit up to a 13/16" socket through the windows.

Picture on Curbie Facebook
johnboy
Full Curbster

1968 Mercury Cougar XR7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: icon_note  Reply with quote

mine's in hibernation :sad:
oh well, next May it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    The Curb Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: